- Uber strikes deal with Daimler to add self-driving Mercedes-Benz to fleet January 31, 2017SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Uber Technologies Inc [UBER.UL] has signed another deal with a major automaker as the popular ride service accelerates efforts to build out one of the world's first fleets of autonomous vehicles.
- Indian IT sector warns against U.S. visa bill January 31, 2017MUMBAI/BENGALURU (Reuters) - India's IT lobby warned on Tuesday that a bill before the U.S. Congress aimed at imposing tougher visa rules unfairly targets some of its members and will not solve a U.S. labor shortage in technology and engineering.
- Global ag tech startup investments drop 30 percent in 2016: study January 31, 2017CHICAGO (Reuters) - Global investments in agriculture technology startups fell 30 percent in 2016 as investor interest in companies offering drones and satellite-guided farm machines cooled following the biggest capital inflow ever a year earlier, according to a study released on Tuesday.
- Robo-adviser Betterment adds human advice January 31, 2017NEW YORK (Reuters) - Betterment, one the earliest and largest online wealth managers known as robo-advisers, is launching new services that will allow clients to receive financial advice from human advisers, as digital and traditional investment management models converge.
- Tech companies to meet on legal challenge to Trump immigration order January 31, 2017SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A group of technology companies plans to meet on Tuesday to discuss filing an amicus brief in support of a lawsuit challenging U.S. President Donald Trump's order restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, said a spokesperson for a company organizing the gathering.
- Vodafone-Idea deal could speed up India telecoms consolidation January 31, 2017MUMBAI (Reuters) - A proposed merger between Vodafone's India operation and Idea Cellular would create a market leader in India's crowded and hyper-competitive telecoms sector, forcing smaller players into two likely options: merge or exit altogether.
- Nintendo returns to profit on mobile gaming but weak software sales drag down outlook January 31, 2017OSAKA (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd on Tuesday reported its first quarterly profit in a year as its nascent mobile games division started to bring in revenue, though not enough to prevent weak console software sales dragging down its annual earnings forecast.
- Canon sees first profit gain in three years after medical unit acquisition January 31, 2017TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese camera and printer maker Canon Inc forecast full-year operating profit to climb 11.4 percent, its first rise in three years, bolstered by earnings from a medical equipment unit it bought from Toshiba Corp last year.
- Canon unlikely to help Toshiba with investment in memory chip business January 31, 2017TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Canon Inc said would be difficult to invest in Toshiba Corp's memory chip business, dousing hopes that the struggling conglomerate could count on its business partner for help as it scrambles for funds to offset a multi-billion dollar writedown.
- Canada's Wealthsimple takes on crowded U.S. robo-adviser market January 31, 2017TORONTO (Reuters) - Wealthsimple, a Canadian-based robo-adviser startup, announced a C$20 million ($15.25 million) investment from Power Financial Corp, and formally launched in the United States on Tuesday, as it looks to compete in a crowded American market dominated by big investment firms.